We hope that you enjoy what you see and always welcome feedback.
On the 10th October 1879 the ‘Edinburgh Courant’ reported the opening of a Bowling Green and Curling Pond at Henderson Row by Perth Street, which had been leased by the Northern Bowling Club (Limited) from Heriot’s Hospital. A portion of ground had been laid out as a Bowling Green with sea turf from Irvine and the Curling Pond was laid at the cost of £694 2s 2d, so commenced the life of the Northern Bowling Club. With Bailie Hay as the first President and Bailie Smith Vice-President the affairs of the club seem to have proceeded normally until 1889 when the Heriot Trust fenced off the site of the green and pond for building purposes. In spite of influential deputations who approached the town council with view to obviating the necessity of removal, the transaction with the fencers had been completed and could not be departed from. The members were therefore compelled to look for a new ground and were fortunate enough to secure from Sheriff Henderson Begg a portion of Warriston Park at an annual rental of £15 where a new green was laid on its present site and opened on the 10th May 1890 by Baillie Hay who officiated in the absence of the Lord Provost who was in London on parliamentary business as was Colonel Dunlop the President that year.
In the Journalistic style of the day various newspapers recorded the opening and noted the main feature as being that the ground is surrounded by a hedge, and between the hedge and the green there are neat little spaces which will be planted with flowers. To the east of the green is created a handsome little pavilion and near it is a finely constructed rockery surmounted by an Eagle with outstretched wings. The ornamental eagle made of bronze with a wing span of five feet which forms part of our official badge was wrenched one night from its perch and only the talons were left, this was greatly regretted as it came from the North Berwick residence of the late Sir Patrick J.Ford, M.P.for North Edinburgh. We also have the original visitors, book with many interesting signatures of people who made their mark in municipal politics, business and commerce. Even the theatre is in evidence as on 6th August 1934 the late Will Fyffe signed and added the caption ‘Champion Bowler’ later on in years, fifty-two in fact. Tom & Jack “The Alexander Brothers” Appearing at the club and also signed the book. This is one of many cherished Memory’s that the Club has in it’s Vault. As the years travel on in the year of 2004 the club Celebrated it’s 125 a few of the Members that were at the Centenary year 1979 are still Members.